When Avery turned two we decided it was time to put her in a big girl bed. I really didn't want to but Madelyn was going to be needing the crib in only a few months so we made the leap. I thought I would never survive. I remember sitting at the top of the stairs balling while Avery sat screaming in her bedroom because we had to close the door to keep her in. We would threaten to close the door or put up the gate if she got out of bed and it soon convinced her.
Well, here we go again. Madelyn has learned how to climb out of her crib. We are having serious problems because she isn't getting the fact that if gets out of bed we close the door. And she is furious that we keep closing the door. Madelyn is so tired and irritable from getting up an hour and a half early standing at the door screaming and going to bed an hour late standing at the door screaming. Nap-time is an issue now too. I am exhausted.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Also, what is your opinion about sharing rooms? I would like Avery and Madelyn to share a room but I only have one queen bed that Avery currently sleeps in. I would like to keep the queen so that I have a place for company to sleep but is it too awkward to have the little girls share the same bed. Would that hurt or help my problem? I am afraid that Madelyn is such a wild sleeper that she will beat up Avery. I also worry that they will get each other up even earlier. What is your take?
Saturday, November 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Sorry I am not any help on this topic but I'm dying to know what you find out. In the next month or two I'm needing to put Mason in a bed and I also need them to share a room. But, honestly, I cannot fathom how it would work out. Let me know if you have any tips for me.
I have all three boys in one room. But I have bunk beds, and soon a twin bed. I have been trying to decide if I want the baby in a room all alone, or to split them up in two's. So I am having the same issues. Have you considered a trundle bed? I might get one for under the bunks so I can have more room for toys, and such. I don't know, just a suggestion.
I have my 3 boys in a room together. Keller (2 in jan) and Will (5) are in bunk beds and Kyle (6mo) is in his crib. It works surprisingly well. We had a hard time with Keller at first of course. We've found that it works best to sit quietly in the room in a corner by the door. Ignore and ignore but let them feel safe till they are at the very least nearly asleep. If they get up just quietly put them back. Take a book so you aren't so bored and look at it as an opportunity to read. It'll still take some patience but it has worked for us. After a while of doing that she should be better with you being outside the door. You just have to gradually move closer and closer to the door until you are out of it.
Now Keller has also figured out how to open doors so we put a child lock on the door handle on the inside of his door. Will can open it but he can't. So when he takes a nap I close the door. He doesn't always stay in bed and sometimes he gets up and plays a little. But he can't get out of his room and eventually tires and will fall asleep playing- even if it's an hour or more later.
Goodness Heather. You do have a lot of patience! I was hoping someone would give me a miracle quick fix but I knew your solution would be my reality. The things we put ourselves through becoming parents. Ah but it is worth it (when they sleep especially).
Good luck figuring it all out. I have friends that have gotten crib tents to keep their kids in. That might work for you. Good luck, this is always hard.
We've had Xander and Max in the same room for about 6 months... and we had to retrain all over again when we moved.... My boys like having their own beds, and we keep the queen in the other room for guests. We also got a great deal on bunk beds at DI. They have the new furniture section, and we've loved the beds. We didn't set them up as bunk beds, but eventually we can. I think they are about $350, and we had to put them together, but they are sturdy, look great, and will last for years. You also have to get bunk boards (they don't tell you about that)
Also, (sorry this is so long) Max takes his naps in the spare room in the port-a-crib. He can't get out of it because the sides are so high. But if they were in the same room for naps, they'd never go to sleep.
At night, if they get out, we just put them back. I can't do the stay in the same room with them thing, because they'd just try to talk to me, and I'd get impatient, and they'd never go to sleep.
And when we were training them, I had Josh do it. He's better at it than me, because I get so emotional about it. But Josh will just keep going up and putting Max back to bed if he gets out. It sometimes took 6-7 trips up the stairs to put him back, but he'd go to sleep eventually.
Lately we've just kept the gate up, and we take it down at night. The boys sit in there and play for a while, but eventually they go to sleep.
Good luck! Hope that helps!!
Just remember, you are doing them a great service by teaching them how to put themselves to sleep!
I am having the same issues, it stinks when they learn how to climb out!! Congrats on the pregnancy, we are a week apart again! How funny is that? I hope things turn out good for you this time, miscarriages are terrible.
Post a Comment