Monday, October 19, 2009

Kitchen love... Which is your favorite.

I need a little help! I don't trust myself to make the right decision and I know all of you out there have a great sense of style!
Travis and I bought a repo and are renovating the kitchen from scratch. I am having a really difficult time defining my style. Please help. I love the new clean and contemporary lines and flat panel kitchen but Travis does not and I am afraid that it will be too trendy and outdated in a matter of years. So, the clean classic white seems to be a safe and reliable venture since it has remained popular in every generation. Or should I stick with a wood in the kitchen? Perhaps a more traditional look? It is such a big and costly decision that I need all of the help I can get. Let me know what you think. Suggestions are welcome!

a.
b.


c.

10 comments:

Tara said...

I am looking at the overall look and not just cabinets.

I like the first one under B because although it is white and very crisp looking it also has a homey feel I think because of the decorative knobs and also the paneling in some spots. I love how a few of the cabinets have the glass fronts too.

I also really like C because of course it is warm and cozy and the stone is amazing. You can never go wrong with this look in my opinion.

Have you though about mixing the woods in your kitchen. Have you ever been in Susan Wise's kitchen? She has some darker wood as in C because mixed in some lighter (not quite white) but some cream and a light green cabinets. It sounds strange to mix them but if done right is looks great. I have noticed a lot of the homes in Park City are doing that too.

Hard decisions. Good luck!

Lisa said...

Lila, You guys are so ambitious. What a fun - but I'm sure huge - project! Good luck. I think any renovation you do will be great. I voted for the third style - more traditional but I think they all look amazing!

thebarrusfamily said...

I love them all but I'm drawn "B". The only thing is I wonder if you'd see every little hand print or smudge. I love the bottom one too. Good luck. How fun!!!!

Anonymous said...

I voted for the b and c! I think the white, particularly mixed with wood, looks more like you. Although I don't care for the the sample with the white counter on white cabinets. I say mix it up just like you might the wood work.
The shaker is also a good choice because of it's clean lines it can easily be made to look more modern with your stone and metal choices. A warmer feel than the white with a modern tweak.
The sleek modern is cool, but dosen't "fit" your family's life style... in my opinion.... worth what you paid for it!! :)

Unknown said...

Hey Lila...

They are all beautifull, all the styles will change so you should pick what you love, or are loving now and make it yours! Even if the style changes in 8 yrs, you will still love it esp if your whole house fits that style. I really love the (a) cabinets and I think you are ahead of the curve a bit as far as the style so you'll have a good decade or so before the styles are changing and even then it takes a long time for things to look terribly outdated...and don't tell Travis but I bet after 10 or 15 yrs you might be wanting to move?!?! Anyways you'll pick something great, go with what you want most!

Baldwin Fam said...

Hi There!

Love, love, love "b!" But like some of the other comments, I'd probably go with the flow of the house. If it's a little more relaxed/homey, go with the first one of b. If it's a little more chic then I'd do a little more dramatic like the last "b."

Good luck!! I'm sure it will be gorgeous anyway you choose.

Lila said...

Thanks for your input everyone! I totally value all of your opinions because you are my most stylish friends!
I am considering mixing the woods as well. This is actually really hard. I always thought it would be fun but now I am realizing how stressful it can be to try and find appliances, pick out flooring that won't clash with the cabinets and select a style that will dictate the tone of your home. And it is a huge investment; paint you can change but flooring and cabinets are to stay. Yikes!
Well, keep the suggestions coming I love to know what you think.

Parley and Katie Call said...

I like them all, but I would pick B too. I think A might be too modern down the road. But I know Parley would probably pick A. (what do boys know?) J/K :) I"m sure it will look great no matter what. Good luck. I want to see your house when it's done!

Noelle said...

Wow, everything is so fancy, you're so lucky you have so many options to choose from. a) is my least favorite just because it's a bit too modern for my taste (but out of the three pics I liked the last pic on a) the best. I like the light colors and open feel.) I love the granite/corion countertops in the last picture. And I love the warmth and feel of the first picture on B. I'm sure you'll love what you come up with. Can't wait to see what you decide!

Ann said...

In my next house, I've already decided that my kitchen will be white (or off white) partly because white is definitely the most classic and the least likely to go out of style quickly. The only down-side to it that I see is that it will show dirt and fingerprints more. Bummer. And I'm definitely going with a dark wood island, too. I've heard esigners say that counter tops and floors should be about the same tone--OOHHH, I'm so excited for you! So does this mean that you guys moved, or do you just have two houses now? Oh, yeah--so I liked the first two B pictures the best, but they all look awesome.