Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Why do we even bother?

Okay so I am sure that everyone reading this has felt this way at some point. FHE, family scripture study, family prayer, etc...But then the pay off comes. Two nights ago Avery said she wanted to say the prayer so I started her off with the, "Dear Heavenly Father" and she took it form there..."thank you for TV, and for Brooke and we can have fun, thank you for maddy" and then she waited for me to help her. What a break through! Last night she did the same thing, I started the prayer and she continued, "thank you for aunt Patrice and for volleyball, thank you for Stina" and then she waited for me to tell her what to say next. It made me feel so good. Not only is she wanting to say prayer (finally) but she is reflecting on the things we have done that day and incorporating it into her prayer. Yay!
Oh and someone save me in that my kid isn't the only one who is praying about the TV. It is cute but I am not proud of it. Today was a TV morning and I always hate that...

7 comments:

Nicole Cave said...

So cute, I love when kids pray because it is probally a little more the way that we should all pray. Very honest and simple and directly towards Heavenly Father. Our kids say crazy things too. Most recently Charity & Dallan say "thank you that Dad can make us money!" Which it kind of sounds snotty and all they care about is wordly things, but I think they get the fact that he works and has a job to help provide for us. So it's cute.

Ann said...

Yep, that's when it's all worth it. Camp loves to be the one to pray (and Jane just started folding her arms) but he rarely thinks of his own things that he wants to say to Heavenly Father. For a while though, in his nightly prayers, he would always pray that Brian would come home from work and that he would come home safely. That was pretty touching. I can wait until he is really thinking about it like Avery and saying everything that comes to his mind. That is so fun.

Brent's Family said...

I find myself comming close to praying for things to work out on the show 24. So I think it is okay for Avery to be gratefyl for TV.

Lila said...

nicole-
That is cute. I know it is in innocence that Avery prays for the TV but it is still sad that it is that significant to her. I find that she watches a lot more TV than I want her to. I am trying to work on that now and have specific times of the day when the TV is off and she is forced to find some other source for entertainment if I am busy.

Michelle said...

It use to bring tears to my eyes when Avry would pray because it was so sweet and sincere. Her prayers still are I guess I'm getting more used to them.

Avry had to give the opening prayer during Sharing Time last Sunday. I was a little disappointed because the lady just told Avry what to say without giving her a chance to say it. I know she could of done it with less help. That's ok though... maybe next time.

Mike Cherry said...

Brayden was praying and has now stopped. And he never got very inventive on his own, but one night he prayed for our babysitter. :) And don't worry, we have TV mornings too. They just happen.

Lila said...

Nat- When you mentioned babysitter in your comment it reminded me of a story.
The other day I told Avery we had to go pick up the babysitter and she got very excited and said, "I get another sister! woohoo! Ywo sisters!" I thought it was so sweet.