one since March". Then he told me that for Father's day he is golfing Monday and Tuesday as if he wasn't going to golf then anyway. But all is well. This is the same story for every Holiday and birthday. I have learned to take advantage of it and so when these "special" days come around I don't even feel guilty doing whatever it is I decide to indulge myself in. But that doesn't keep me from setting the example. Travis would just assume there never ever be a Holiday of any sort. I think that these days are very important though. It is so easy to get caught up in life that we sometimes need a special day set aside to remind us not to take the ones we love for granted. Although I try to do my part to make these days fun we still don't take them too seriously.This is what Travis got for Father's Day.
I am glad that I did have a good gift for him though because the day did not go as planned. Madelyn has been sick since Thursday but Saturday night it got real bad so I took her to the ER early Sunday morning and didn't get home until 6:30 am. Somehow I still managed to pull myself out of bed at 7:15 to be up with the girls and fix a nice breakfast but I didn't have energy for fun and fancy. 
Little mady had a rash from head to toe and a fever of 103. She was congested and croupy to the point that she couldn't breath. When we took her to the hospital they x rayed her chest and gave her some steroids to open her airway as well as epinephrine. Breathing treatments and Motrin had her feeling better by the end of the day.
Then there is my Father. Since my parents divorce I haven't been as close to him but this past year I have had a personal developing testimony of the Atonement as I have tried to learn to forgive my Father. Father's Day is always a dilemma for me because of all of the cards that praise fathers as examples and heroic. Nonetheless this year all hurt aside I was able to reflect on some of the good things that I remember about father. I compiled a list and created this display with some pictures of us doing those things as I was growing up. I had a lot of fun doing it and I think he really liked it. In or
der to understand the card I made for Travis dad you would have to know that we tease Travis' mom about treating his dad like he is hired Mexican labor . We tease him all all of the time and call him Julio. I was pretty proud of the way his card turned out and we got him a massage gift cetificate. Travis' family is all about humor and sarcasm so it isn't sentimantal and that is the way they like it.
der to understand the card I made for Travis dad you would have to know that we tease Travis' mom about treating his dad like he is hired Mexican labor . We tease him all all of the time and call him Julio. I was pretty proud of the way his card turned out and we got him a massage gift cetificate. Travis' family is all about humor and sarcasm so it isn't sentimantal and that is the way they like it.




9 comments:
So sad to hear about Madelyn. Sick babies are no fun. I love your Father's Day cards and presents! How sweet and fun.
So cute, thoughtful, and creative!! I have divorced parents too, and I am sure for different reasons, no matter what the reason there is always feelings involved and alot of forgiving to go with that!! But, we still love our parents no matter what.
Sorry your baby was sick. I hate that.
Hey I like the card thing you made your dad...I guess with much thought we can always find the good in things. MOM
Leela,
Your cards and stuff are almost painful for me to see because I could never dream of having the talent or creativity to create anything like them. I showed Brian your website and HE even said it makes my page look pathetic. oh well. I'm having a ball with it just like you said I would.
Leela, I'm so sorry for whatever happened with your parents, but I'm so glad your mom is doing so well, and I'm inspired just by your DESIRE to forgive. (Forgiving is not necessarily on of my strengths. ) I'm sure your dad LOVED your card. I hope you are able to reestablish the relationship with him that you desire.
Travis is very lucky to have you.
Dang it! I just wrote a big long comment, and somehow I did something wrong and it didn't post. Anyway...Leela, all of your cards are darling. Seeing them makes me slightly discouraged because I could never hope for the talent or creativity to create anything like them. I think Brian was impressed by my blog, but only until I showed him your page and Nicole's page. But you're right. I'm loving this blogging thing. I'm just so excited to feel like I have friends!
Anyway, I'm really sorry to hear about your parents' divore. A am so glad, though, that your mom seems to be doing so well. She was my Sunday school teacher for a while and I really enjoyed her. Leela, your sincere DESIRE to forgive your dad and show him your love is inspiring. (Forgiveness is something I struggle with.) I hope you are able to reestablish the relationship with him that you desire.
Hi Ann. Thanks for your comments. Actually I remember watching you doodle the alphabet most creatively when we were in classes together. I remember thinking that I wished I could write like you. Besides whatever I have in creativity you definitely make up for in smarts. Oh yeah and your comment doesn't show up immediately because I have to moderate it first. All comments come to me via email first and I approve them first. It's not that I am worried about someone coming on the site and posting things that I don't want but rather I like being notified by email so that I don't miss anyones comments. You can select this option when you sign into your blog go to customize then select settings I think and then select post settings and it gives a lot of options for controling your blog.
It is truely a blessing that I have been able to forgive my father. It has been four years and only these last few months have I been free from the chains of not extending firgiveness. All that time I was really trying and thought that I was but now I know the difference. When you have truely been able to forgive and let go. It is an indescribable feeling of freedom. I know that it is true that when you withhold fogiveness it only hurts you not the offender. In my case though it litterlly came as a gift from God. Through the process of much prayer because of the desire on my part, he lifted the burden from me and it feels so right. I would not have been able to just forgive on my own and that is part of the Atonement too.
Anyway, since the divorce we have all become stronger, especially my Mom she is so amazing and I am amzed by her strength. She just got remarried to a great guy and now lives in Farmington, UT. I miss not having her close but she is happy. thanks so much for what you said, I really appreciate it. It is fun to have friends again and on a deeper level llike this. Chat with ya soon...
Such cute and thoughtful gift ideas. Love the watch. Spencer was hit and miss for Holidays but I always tried to make them special too and I think after 6 years he's enjoying taking part in holidays now.
Glad to hear your baby is ok. That is no fun!
Lila, good job on being a good wife/mother and daughter. It's scary when babies can't breath. We had to give Caleb breathing treatments a while ago. I took him in because he had a little rash and the doctor checked him all over and put him on breathing treatments, etc. I felt like a really bad mom because I didn't realize how sick he was. And your cards are beautiful. I wish you could pass some of the creativity along. Good job on forgiving. It's not an easy process. Wish we lived closer!!!!
I love your cards Lila. You are so talented.
Post a Comment